How to heal a duck's beak?

Please stop in and introduce yourself, shoot the breeze or talk about anything that is on your mind. Although we want to stay on waterfowl related topics in general we can visit other topics but try not to make it the focus of the discussion.

Moderator: Waterfowlrescue

How to heal a duck's beak?

Postby HamandDaisy on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Whilst I was working today, my mum's boyfriend was doing the gardening when my duck jumped in front of him.

He accidentally hit her beak in between her nostrils and the wound started off the size of her nostrils. The beak covering was hanging off, exposing the skull and it had bled. I cleaned it with luke warm water and put a tiny dab of savlon on the wound.

She then itched her beak and made the wound about 50% bigger and it bled once again. I cleaned her beak with the warm water again. The beak covering is still attached but it don;t know whether to remove it because either way, there are infection risks.

She is acting like her normal self, happily quacking, no signs of lethargy, eating and drinking fine and preening okay.

Does anyone have any ideas in how I can help her OTHER THAN:

- Taking her to the vet (I will do this if it gets any worse)
- Regular cleaning (I know this already)
- Putting on a bandage (impossible)

Many thanks.
HamandDaisy
Getting Feathers

Re: How to heal a duck's beak?

Postby ChickMom on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:29 am

They generally heal up pretty well. I generally put some antibiotic ointment on (like neosporin or similar things) while the area is open but as long as the bill isn't cracked or broken, the area will heal back over pretty quickly. If Daisy seems ill, you will want to take her to the vet as you say. Best of luck.
-Chick Mom/Marlys in Oklahoma
ChickMom
Site Admin

Postby HamandDaisy on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:19 am

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I've been advised by one of my Animal management lectureers at college to take her to the vet because there is an increased risk of her getting a bone infection with the skull exposed. Do you think this is necessary or is it simply treatable at home?
HamandDaisy
Getting Feathers

Postby HamandDaisy on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:22 am

Also, can anyone suggest any readily avaliable antibiotic ointments in the UK? Seems that I can only buy t online and it could be too late then.
HamandDaisy
Getting Feathers

Postby ChickMom on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:29 pm

Certainly taking her to the vet would be the most prudent thing to do. Could you take a photo to show us the extent of the injury? And in regards to triple antibiotic ointment, you should be able to buy some at the drug store, I would thing. Here you can get it at almost any kind of store. It's just the stuff people put on scrapes and cuts that we get. It's not anything special. I'm sorry I don't know what it would be called in the UK though. Is the duck still active and eating okay?
ChickMom
Site Admin

Postby HamandDaisy on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:00 pm

Thanks again for the reply.

I've attached a picture - apoligies for the poor quality but I've got a really old camera! As you can see, the beak covering is still hanging off at the bottom of the injury and the white is the exposed bone between the nostrils. It may look like a small injury in the picture but its quite obvious.

I have been applying salvon 3 times a day and she's still acting her normal, outgoing self! There hasn't been any bleeding since she made the injury worse.

In regards to the ointment, I'm hoping to find some tomorrow as my mum reckons they sell it locally.
Attachments
Ham.jpg
Ham's beak injury.
Ham.jpg (5.91 KB) Viewed 2238 times
HamandDaisy
Getting Feathers

Postby HamandDaisy on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:33 am

Also - would it be safe to apply a dap on plaster? My mum bought Germaline New Skin but I don't know if its safe?

Also, we can't seem to but antibiotic ointment over the counter here :(
HamandDaisy
Getting Feathers

Postby ChickMom on Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:21 pm

I'm really surprised you can't find triple antibiotic ointment - I have a feeling you may already be using it and we are just using different words. You can use a dab on plaster (we call it liquid band-aid) if you like but really, I think the duck will do just fine and that the injury is not so terrible. The bills usually heal very well and I think your duck should do fine. It's not really the skull, per se, that you are seeing and the covering on the bill is quite thin. Just watch the area for any puffing or odd coloring - I think that those would make me re-think but everything is probably going to be okay. Best wishes and please do keep us informed.
ChickMom
Site Admin

Postby HamandDaisy on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi everyone.

It's been a little while since the injury occured and Ham is still acting normal, however, the beak around the injury has become very pale - I was wondering if this was a sign of the beak healing?

Many thanks!
HamandDaisy
Getting Feathers

Postby ChickMom on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:25 pm

I would suspect so but to be honest, I don't think I've had a duck with a black bill get a bill injury so I'm not certain. I have a pekin with a pinkish bill who has a bill injury right now and hers has a dark area where it's healing. So perhaps with a black bill, the healing spot will look light color. I'm sorry I don't know. Perhaps someone else will stop in and give us their information. Is the light area bigger than the injured area?
ChickMom
Site Admin

Postby HamandDaisy on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:00 pm

No, its a millimetre or two in thickness around the injury.

I've reduced the amount of Antiseptic cream I'm putting on so it has a chance to heal - she seems to be doing fine but because this light area appeared whilst I was away for a couple of days, I felt concerned.

I hope your Pekin has a speedy recovery!
HamandDaisy
Getting Feathers

Postby ChickMom on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks. Oh, and I remembered that I had a duck with a golden colored bill (his name was Goldy and he was the most beautiful duck I ever saw) and he got avian pox on his bill. After the pox lesion (like a big sore) healed, he always had a light spot where the pox had been. Again, that doesn't tell us anything definitive but I am hopeful that your little one is going to be fine. It really sounds okay to me but I'm not an expert and just speaking from 12 years of experience with my own ducks. I agree with you on stopping the cream and let's see how things look in a couple of days.
ChickMom
Site Admin

Postby Waterfowlrescue on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:20 am

Bills heal fine usually on their own, most antiseptics can kill healthy tissue. I woudl just clean it , use nail clippers to trim off any loose pieces of keratin, then cover it with new skin (or liquid bandage) and leave it be unless it gets infected.
Please do not send PMs as I dont check them, use the email listed below if you need help.

Carolina Waterfowl Rescue
http://www.cwrescue.org
waterfowlrescue@aol.com
704-668-9486
Waterfowlrescue
Site Admin

Postby HamandDaisy on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 am

Hey guys,

It's been a while since the injury, and new chream/white solid material (I'm assuming its ketarin) is growing over the injury. The problem now is that its starting to slightly overgrow. Should I be worried and what should I do about it?

Many thanks!
HamandDaisy
Getting Feathers

Postby ChickMom on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:29 am

I think it will be okay. It is kind of forming a scar, I guess. I would continue to leave it alone and just watch to see what occurs. But, as always, if you are concerned you can always consult a vet. It has taken a long time to heal but I guess it must have been a quite deep area of injury and it does take a while for the bill to heal over. My duck with the bill injury still has a dark kind of bumpy area on her bill (she is a pekin so has a pinkish bill) but I'm sure hers will be fine and think yours will too.

Thanks for the update; please do keep us informed. Best wishes!
ChickMom
Site Admin

Next

Return to Waterfowl Chit Chat