Blind duckling

Please stop in and introduce yourself, shoot the breeze or talk about anything that is on your mind. Although we want to stay on waterfowl related topics in general we can visit other topics but try not to make it the focus of the discussion.

Moderator: Waterfowlrescue

Blind duckling

Postby hrtodie4 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:14 pm

I am a person that owns two ducks for pets ,they successfully hatched 1 baby,turns out he is totally blind ,Im devistated.Does anyone know of anywhere I can take him to be cared for so he has quality of life hes in my basement in a nicely built home for him but I dont think hes happy,please I love this little guy but dont think I can give him what he needs ,the vet suggested putting him to sleep but I dont see that as an option,Im in Midlothian Ill
hrtodie4
Just Hatched

Re: Blind duckling

Postby ChickMom on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your blind duckling. You can check for a rescuer in your area in our rescuer listings. You are really looking for a kind adopter or sanctuary I think. Blind birds often do well though if they have a friend who they can stay with and if their area is always kept in the same configuration so they will know where food is and water. Always talk when you are around the duckling so he won't be startled. You might post about the special little guy in the 'ducks needing homes' forum if you really feel you must move him.

I moved your post here but I can understand why it's hard to know exactly where it should go.
-Chick Mom/Marlys in Oklahoma
ChickMom
Site Admin

Return to Waterfowl Chit Chat